Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Pete Ellis Dodge, Long Beach Freeway, Firestone Exit, Southgate!

I am having a serious problem with nostalgia, specifically for local LA commercials from the 80's. Anyone remember Federated Frederated Appliances? Or the Pete Ellis Dodge commercial, with the bouncing ball over the words being sung?
Or my favorite: "It's Cal Worthington and his dog Spot!" Cal Worthington was a car salesman, and would appear with a different animal as his "dog Spot", although they were never dogs. Sometimes an elephant, sometimes a goat, sometimes a tiger, but never a dog. The song was sung to the tune of "if you're happy and you know it". Everyone I knew at the time thought the words were "Pussycow", instead of "Go See Cal". I would pay top dollar to see some of those again. I loved being sick during the week, relaxing at my Grandma Negrete's house, eating chorizo and tortillas, watching bad daytime tv, and loving those commercials.

caltiger

I also loved those REALLY low budget television shows, that I'm sure were being made right down the street from her house in Santa Fe Springs, probably somewhere in the City of Industry, or more appropriately, the City of Commerce. The Froozles, Powerhouse, and who could forget the New Zoo Revue?

newzoorevue